Last Updated on
If I were to pick one thing that helps me keep to a budget and keep my sanity while raising three children and schooling from home, I would say it is Meal Planning. Due to the subject having SO much information to digest, I have decided to make it a 4 part series. Enjoy
Why Meal Plan?
1) Menu Planning Saves you Stress, Frustration and Time
– How many of you have found yourself staring into the pantry or fridge at 5pm “What should we eat?”. Sitting down once a week and making a menu plan eliminates the 5pm frazzled panic.
– Yes, it takes time to setup but after the first set up it saves LOTS of time. Planning meals in advanced saves time each evening AND time shopping.
2) Helps change your meal time purpose
Nurturing versus Feeding the void
o Meal time is a great time to nurture your families minds and bodies. I less stressed cook means a less stressed family at meal time and allows you to focus on each other.
Research indicates that families that eat together have a stronger bond
o Children have higher self-confidence, enhanced vocab. Skills, and score higher on academic tests
3) Make meals a family affair.
If the meal is planned then having kids (especially little ones) help is easier. This is not easy for me to do because I like to cook without little hands slowing me down, but I pick a “quick” meal for them to “help” with.
If I have them planned then I come to
4) Menu Planning Saves you Money
– Planned, once a week shopping where you buy all the groceries you need for the week saves LOTS of time and Money.
– Making a list helps reduce spur of the moment purchases.
– Allows you to take advantage of sales items because you know what you will be using. A great deal is NOT a great deal if it just sits in the pantry or goes bad.
5) There is no perfect way to Meal Plan
Everyone is going to do this a little differently. Do what works for you.
In the next couple weeks I will introduce the plans I have used in the past, the plan I am using currently, share the meal planning essentials for any meal planning system to be a success and give you some resources to help you on your journey.
I have also been a speaker at a couple MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers groups) and talked on the topic of Meal Planning using this series. I am a teacher at heart and love to help others learn about things that help their families. It has amazed me that so many people don’t plan out their meals and honestly don’t know where to start.
I hope this series blesses you and your family. If you have any questions please enter them below in the comments section.
To Continue in the Series click on the links below:
The Frabjus Lady
Shared on Homestead Blog Hop